Skip to main content

Yes Vs No

About 3 years ago I went from one extreme to another. A major incident in my life caused me to look at how thin I was spreading myself and the realisation that I needed to stop saying yes to everything. So I pretty much stopped saying yes to everything. One extreme to another.

Things were going fine, lots more time to focus on me, my family and getting us all back on track, mentally and physically.

But…. about 2 years later I re-evaluated this again. I had a bit of a realisation that by focusing so much on just me, my family and saying no to everything others asked of me that I was potentially depriving myself of really fun and life enhancing opportunities; and opportunities for others to share the burden in some cases.

It speaks to two different things for me I think. One is the whole not wanting to be a burden to others, where I am slowly but surely realising I’m not a burden. People don’t offer help if they don’t want to. They’re just doing what I would do for them because we care about one another. I’ve even learned to ask for help rather than assuming people will see through my smiling mask and see me struggling and offer assistance.

The other is my whole thing about sticking to a plan. I’ve pretty much chucked that out of the window. Those close to me will know how much I love a plan. Nothing felt better than knowing what was going to happen, when and how. But by being so rigid there are so many missed opportunities for fun, learning, challenges, laughter and properly living life.

Take this weekend for example, my Sunday plan consisted of just doing some grocery shopping and taking my son to a party. That was it. I was kind of thinking I might just get there, let my son go off and play laser quest and I’ll have a coffee and a natter with the parents. Not because I didn’t want to watch but because it’s in a restricted access, window-free play area, so I didn’t think I could.

All of a sudden Little Legs comes dashing over and pleads with me to join them at laser quest because they have 3 spare spaces and they were being offered to parents. Old me would have probably said no on the basis I was bloody knackered! (I was still feeling a bit shabby from my covid jab a few days before) But, I saw the look in my son’s eyes and saw the potential for a really fun opportunity I might not get again.

I can honestly say that saying yes to that gave me and my son one of our best memories yet. I’ve spent the last year or so saying yes to more and more things, just making sure that the things I say yes to add value to my life, or teach me something.

I spent 40 minutes being chased by 12 kids and 2 over eager dads reliving their youth. It was hilarious, only in this situation will it ever be acceptable for my son to say “Die mummy”, while diving out from behind a scenery board and firing his gun at my vest targets. I let him get a few shots in but then released my inner Rambo and went on the hunt!

We were all a sweaty mess afterwards, giggling and laughing. At bedtime I thanked Little Legs. Thanked him for asking me to join in, thanked him for the opportunity and the best day I’ve had with him in a very long time. He was so pleased, declared me the best mum ever and has asked that we do it again with some other friends and family. That’s a request I found it easy to say yes to.

Saying yes isn’t a bad thing, not putting yourself first is the bad thing. Sometimes saying yes is putting yourself first. You matter. Try saying yes a bit more to the things you’d ordinarily, instinctively turn down. You never know, you might just like it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

To know or not to know?

14 weeks and 2 days In a month or so I will be having my 20 week scan and can potentially find out the gender of our baby. D is adamant he wants to know.  Nay!  He needs to know.... Me?  Meh... All my life I've said I didn't want to know, that whatever I had I would be happy and as such I just don't need to know.  In fact, waiting 9 months to find out what we're having just adds to the excitement of finding out. D however is very impatient in all aspects of life and needs to know at the first possible opportunity.   I can't see why it's so important to know as I don't believe in traditional gender attire and decor.  Girls do not have to wear pink.  So whats the benefit to knowing really? Someone recently suggested to me that we could just go down the beige route... *shudder* I couldn't think of anything worse.  I need colour in my life, and our baby will be surrounded by colour.     For me, I want bright colours around our child, greens, blu

Keeping your chebs in place

When I found out I was expecting I knew that there would be a stage which meant I would struggle to find clothes to wear. .. never did I imagine my first issue would be my underwear! ! At only 11 weeks I was measured and found that I'd gone from more than a handful 36DD to a rather explosive 38GG! To my utmost horror the bra fitter of a well known high street chain told me I had to stop wearing my underwires and brought me two maternity bras to try on. If this wasn't bad enough the bras were horrid.  I asked if they had any others and the answer was "Yes" but not in my rather large size.   As I was rather desperate I bought them but now I'm fed up and want something pretty but practical.  This is proving much harder than I realised without breaking the bank! So I've been doing a little research.  My boobs are only going to grow more, and now I'm finding I need to wear something at night too.  So I need comfy bras during the day, something to sle

How easy to forget the past

I had an appointment yesterday and I thought everything was going swimmingly well.  Answering all the questions with no hesitation and providing relevant information.  It was only while we were chit chatting that I realised there was so much I'd forgotten to say. Cue much back peddling and scribbling in extra notes. How is it when these things happen at the time they seem huge,  like the biggest obstacles you've ever dealt with but within a relatively short space of time they're pushed back? Huge lesson learned.  If it's not going to matter in a year or two,  just get on with it, accept it.  If you can't change it just do it and move on .  Also, make a record of these things otherwise in future appointments you'll have forgotten everything!