Skip to main content

12 months

2015- 2016 - otherwise known as the year things got hard.

Grandad died.

Tom lost his fight with cancer.

Cancer took my dad from me.

All within the space of 12 months. When so much is taken from you in such a short space of time, it's incredibly hard. I was very close with Grandad and still miss him terribly.

With Tom and my Dad... Hell... It doesn't matter that you know it's coming, it still tears a hole in your heart.

Being a parent to a young child who couldn't possibly understand grief and the loss of loved ones, I never really fell apart.

I don't know if it's strange, 4/5 years down the line, I found myself reflecting on them and really feeling that sense of loss. More so than ever.

I think I felt like I wasn't allowed to grieve, to fall apart, and didn't really deal with things.

Fast forward to 2019, an equally hard year for very different reasons. Again no option to fall apart, but this time I've dealt with things in a much healthier way. I've talked about what I could, I've focused on positive mental and physical attitude, made plans for the future and rectified environmental issues that had been dragging me down for years.

For the first time in a long time I'm feeling positive about the future.

2020 is going to be a different kind of 12 months. One which sees a healthy and happy me. If so much sadness can happen to you in 12 months, just imagine how much happiness you can make happen in that time.

Comments

  1. Grief hits you, you can't predict when, I struggled years after my parents passed when I realised I'd never introduce them to my Daughter - I didn't expect it, I didn't have a choice. My last 18 months have also been tough, friends help, pain eases with time but never forget it can come back. You are an amazing person, lovely writer and 2020 will be a wonderful year. Happines isn't found its created :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Stephen, so very kind of you. Grief is a funny old thing eh? It affects everybody differently and we will have our own ways of doing and getting through things. Happiness is most definitely created, never wait for it to come to you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love comments, please do leave feedback and a username for your preferred social media so I can get back in touch.

Popular posts from this blog

At the halfway point

Today was all about the 20 week anomaly scan.  To say I've been looking forward to this is an understatement.  Since I had my dating scan at 13 weeks, all I've wanted to do is see our baby again. Unsurprisingly a baby of mine and D's is an awkward bugger and we had to do the scan in two stages because baby did NOT want to stay still, making it difficult to get a proper look at it's heart.  Baby is now fondly known as wrigglebum. Wrigglebum appears to be doing fine, nothing obviously wrong, and growing at normal levels.  I couldn't ask for anything more!  Can't believe that the next time I see wrigglebum may well be in my arms!

I can see a rainbow

I've been doing a lot of pondering lately about how little say we have about a lot of things in our lives.  We can't control the health and happiness of others. We can't control their actions. But we can control how we choose to live our lives and what positive influences we can make. In trying to find something which expresses how I feel about life right now I stumbled across this. Life’s like a movie, write your own ending Keep believing, keep pretending We’ve done just what we set out to do. Thanks to the lovers, the dreamers, and you. “The Magic Store”/Rainbow Connection” (Reprise) – Kermit and the Muppets The Muppets are making their little movie, all planned out, but then in typical muppet fashion chaos strikes. Despite everything a rainbow appears.  While life has a habit of creating unwanted chaos, throwing a spanner or two in the works; sometimes we need that to re-focus on what our priorities are.  2017 brings a new chapter for my little family. So