Skip to main content

Self care

Sometimes I find myself thinking I really need to take better care of myself. In every sense, physically, mentally and emotionally.

We each have different standards - different levels of what we consider to be awful, ok, good, and fucking awesome.

When I think back to pre-baby I was far better at that self care. I was slimmer, fitter, healthier, enjoyed going out, made time for my hobbies, my relationship, friends and family, and really took pride in my appearance. Each of these things contributed to me being happy as a whole.

Now? It's a good day if I actually apply some mascara before I go to work. It's a good day if I make it to 10pm without poking someone in the eye (only in my mind!)

In part it's because I am no longer my priority, my son is of course. But mostly if I'm truthful it’s because I've became lazy and complacent.

Today I resolve to make a change. I have already started with some little things. I have begun making time for my hobbies again and I've started taking better care and interest in my surroundings.

Next on the agenda is taking the time to care more about my appearance. That means eating better and doing more than just a swipe of moisturiser and mascara before I head out of the door.

What does your self care look like?


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pretty breastfeeding underwear

A while back,when boobs first started their pregnancy bloom, I struggled with finding nursing bras in those larger sizes, and that were also pretty, and affordable.  Following Oscar's arrival, the post baby bloom arrived and the search was on once more. My friend Annie who shares similar traits to me sent me a link one day which brought a ray of hope.  She suggested I look at an online shop, very appropriately called nursing-brashop .   At first glance I was immediately impressed by the set up and the very clear indications that it catered to sizes across the board, including those elusive larger sizes. As well as browsing by size you can also browse by brand, and by type. I was impressed with the variety of types of bras available.  Far better than I'd been able to search for elsewhere. I quickly placed an order for two bras, one plain and simple, and one pretty one as a treat for myself.  The shop made me even happier when I discovered free UK deliv...

Panic!

I woke up on Monday morning with an honest to God freak out. In three weeks I return to work after nearly 11 months off work. Jeez Louise where has that time gone? I remember before I went on maternity leave I had ideas about what I would do during my time off and how when I returned to work I would be in such a great routine that everything would run seamlessly. Er.. No. Quite the opposite, I have a baby who hates naps, unless he sleeps on you and doesn't particularly like sleeping at night. I somehow manage to fit in (just about) mealtimes, and attending appts and play sessions. Housework? Don't be ridiculous,  my son is incredibly lucky, and I'm incredibly surprised that he has clean clothes to wear every day. There have been occasions where I realised I was dressing him in his last set of clean clothes and the panic washing and drying without a tumble dryer has begun. When I return to work in 2 and a half weeks I'm either going to fall apart or become super ef...

Fun resolve

I began this journal when I first found out I was pregnant. I had no way of knowing what kind of road was ahead of me.  I could never have known just how hard it would be and how equally delightful it is. Being a parent has challenged every preconception I ever had about parenting. All the "rules and "ideals" were quickly thrown out of the window and many short sharp lessons were learned. Every day is a lesson.  A lesson in my son, a lesson in family dynamics, a lesson in responsibility, and a lesson in life. I cant predict what each day will bring and I can't promise I will enjoy all my lessons. But I do know each lesson is full of unquestionable love, even through dark days and the occasional tear of my own. As 2018 gets ready for autumn I find myself thinking about the challenges yet to come. The future is full of promise. I promise to continue being the best parent that I can. I know I won't be perfect but I will always do what I think is right and I...